Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Change of location

Yesterday found me wandering the streets of Barcelona again. This time I wasn't lost, I was just looking for a hostel to stay in. I'd had one picked out, but when I arrived they didn't have any rooms, so I had to go searching for another.

Somehow I managed to find a pretty cool one in a completely different section of Barcelona that I hadn't explored yet. It's €22 per night and breakfast is included. That cost is actually quite low considering the neighborhood. My street is Paseo de Gracia and it's a pretty high end neighborhood. Directly next store is Cartier. On the same block is Burberry, Rolex, Tumi, and other pricey stores.

I was kind of sad to leave my first ever CouchSurfing host yesterday when I set out for the hostel, but now that I'm here, I'm glad that I decided to do both. Last night I met people from Seattle, Texas, Chicago, Germany, Australia, and Mexico. It's pretty cool the wide assortment of people that are here. Most of them are young (there's a whole gaggle of 17 year old Germans running around), but I've seen some people in their 60s, too.

How about some pictures of La Sagrada Familia? This church has been under construction for more than 100 years and it still doesn't look like it's close to being finished.


The church is so massive that you can't even get the entire thing into one picture. It's crazy big.


I haven't quite decided yet what I'm doing today. More wandering, perhaps. And I'm going to start thinking about an excursion outside of Barcelona.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon. First, don't ever appologize about ranting. What the hell good is a blog if you can't use it to vent?

    You have some beautiful pictures here. The last one is interesting. It looks like the older part of that building is trying to eat the newer part. :) The entrance way is so detailed that from a distance it looks like it's melting.

    That part about the 60 year olds gives me heart. There's still hope for my own rtw trip. :)

    ReplyDelete